J recently got her report card and she received all great grades except in one area, "drawing pictures to go along with math story problems." (I know you all are thinking, "really, they grade on that??") However, being the biased mom that I am, I figured it was either a typo, or some misunderstanding. So I did what all good biased mom's do and e-mailed her teaching asking for further understanding on the issue so I can know how to help the situation. Well, her teacher wrote back the following message:
Hi Mrs. Palmer,
I am so sorry. I'm glad you caught that. That was a typo that I did not catch. I will check with the counselor on Monday to see what I need to do to have that changed to an AS (area of strength). J is quite a mathematician. She is always very engaged during math lessons and usually one of the first to catch on. When asked to draw a 6 sided polygon she told me "I drew a concave hexagon." Had to smile before saying, "You sure did!"
It is such a joy to have J in our class. She is very bright, interested in everything and delightful.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I am so sorry. I'm glad you caught that. That was a typo that I did not catch. I will check with the counselor on Monday to see what I need to do to have that changed to an AS (area of strength). J is quite a mathematician. She is always very engaged during math lessons and usually one of the first to catch on. When asked to draw a 6 sided polygon she told me "I drew a concave hexagon." Had to smile before saying, "You sure did!"
It is such a joy to have J in our class. She is very bright, interested in everything and delightful.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Now, I was quite happy to see that it was indeed a typo. But I'm sad to say that yes, I had to google the definition of a concave hexagon. J has certainly picked up her math skills from her daddy, and grandpa's. I've really enjoyed the teachers that J has had also. I'm glad she is learning and growing.
So thank you to all those who help our children be better people in this world--teachers (both school and church), neighbors, grandparents, aunts, uncles--the list goes on!!! :) We certainly are blessed. :)
3 comments:
Wow! Uhh... Concave hexagon???
Me again! Hey can you send me an e-mail, so I can send you an e-mail, so you can view my blog? :)
marielrasmussen@gmail.com
Thanks, Chica!
LOL! I had to google it too after reading your post:) Apparently I didn't retain much of the math knowledge from four years of high school math and four years of college math.:)
Post a Comment