Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Not fun experience.. . pensive/sad.
Tonight I had a bad experience. I was searching online for some LDS crafts and as I clicked on a site. many BAD BAD images began flashing before my eyes. I attempted x-ing out to find only MORE appeared. I just crashed the computer, not caring what I ruined by turning it off the wrong way. I'm sad and angry at the same time. I know this sounds weird, but I'm glad it happened to me and not my children. I am now on a hunt for an Internet filter. We had one before we crashed our computer and I never put it back on because it usually blocked the sites we wanted and didn't catch the ones we wanted it to catch. . . SOOOOOO I'm asking for help. If you have any experience with any filtering software that has worked for you, please let me know. I don't want this to happen again to me, but especially to the ones I love. I guess I always knew it was there, but figured if I didn't search for it, I wouldn't have to deal with it. . . . I was wrong. I was a bit naive I guess. I'm kinda sad . . . I try so hard to bring posative things into my world and those around me--things that create. . not destroy; things that enrich instead of numb. And after all that effort, I feel defeated. I've never had to really deal with anything like this, so I'm up for any suggestions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is so infuriating! I don't understand why people want to waste their time arranging horrible things like that to hurt other people. I'm sorry I'm no help in the filter department. I'm not sure what we use. I just get so angry when I hear about things like that happening to unsuspecting people who are minding their own business. I'm sorry that happened to you.
I don't have any suggestions but if you find something that works let me know, so I can get one too.
That-sucks. I hate when things like that happen, because I end up feeling like I've done something wrong even when I'm innocent. Makes you feel a little victimized, which is just the worst! We've never had that problem on our computer, so I'll have to ask PC what filter we use and get back to you. I'm super sorry about your experience. We should start our own pop-up virus that will throw puppies and sunshine pop-ups at people... counter-balance all the bad out there a little :)
Awww, that seems to be happening more and more now. I was just talking to my neighbor and we were talking about that kind of thing happening, and how she and her husband and all their children were gathered around the computer looking up a fun family site, when all these horrible expicit images popped up, one after the next. It's so maddening to me too! It is literally everywhere. Blake said to check deseretbook.com and search internet filters there. We need to get one too, so let me know what you end up finding. Good Luck! Good for you for just shutting it off!
I asked PC what filter we use for our computer, and he said we just use something called Security Center (it should be in your Control Panel when you go to START on your computer) Security Center will have something called Internet Options and if you click on that, you can set your level of security (we have ours at medium-high). Then if you go to the Privacy tab from that same window, you'll be able to turn on the pop-up blocker. It's the only one we use and I really like it. I've never had any problems. Maybe that is completely unhelpful, but I thought I'd let you know what PC said.
I've heard K9web protection.com works. We had a similar experience, but it was Jackson that was on the computer.
Post a Comment