Saturday, August 30, 2008

giving blood

It has been sooooo long since I have given blood. I've either been pregnant or something so I couldn't give blood. Well, this time around, I had absolutely no excuse. I was actually pretty excited. Giving blood makes me feel like I'm actually doing something that will help someone. Things have changed since 6 years ago (the last time I gave blood). They now put your plasma back inside of you. It's an interesting process--Take blood and plasma out, separate blood and plasma in a spinny thingy (Nice technical term, I know) then put plasma back into your thirsty veins. Not only did I do this ONCE today, but twice. I gave a double!!!! I barely made the requirements of height and weight to be able to, but it helps so the people getting the blood do not build up as many antibodies if they get 2 units from the same person. . . Anyway, I feel I have done my civic duty for the day and the world will be a better place. . o.k. not really, but hopefully it will make a difference to someone. :D


Notice the nice red heart sticker in the pictures. What a prize, huh???!!!!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Go Heather!!! I'm a big chicken when it comes to giving blood...

McKenna said...

wait...they put your plasma back when you give blood? Maybe we're a little behind in that technology here, because they aren't doing that at the Red Cross where I go. It sounds pretty awesome! Nice job, H!