Tuesday, September 9, 2008

learning to sign

A while ago, I felt like I should learn to sign. I started to and my motivation ended. Well, there is a woman that just moved into our ward (church group) that is deaf and signs. . . so my motivation is back up. I would like to be able to communicate with her sooooo. I've learned a few phrases so far-- how are you? are you hungry? and how do you sign. . . .

I found a great cite that teaches with instructions visially and written. I think it will help.

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/phrases.cgi

I'll let you know how I do. It's fun to have something to work on learning.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Awesome H!!! I want to learn to sign too! Our ward is the deaf host ward for the area, so we have interpreters at church every Sunday. I really enjoy watching them. There is also a show called "Signing Time" that is on PBS (I don't know if you get it, but it is on Saturday mornings.) It is made for kids to learn basic signs, but I LOVE it! It makes it really easy to learn.

Thanks for the website, I will definitely be using it as a resource!!!

Cardon Family Fitness said...

You should check out Signing Time! It is a fun way to learn different signs! Boyd loves it and I find it entertaining! Check out the website too signingtime.com

McKenna said...

Ditto to the Signing Time advice. The songs are a great way to learn! Another great way is to label things in your house or keep a reference list (like in your cupboard for the food in there) so that you can access the signs quick. I now hundreds of nouns...but I think I need to take a class in order to learn everything else.

Cook Family said...

You probably aren't alone about learning to sign. We were in a ward once where the deaf members taught classes to those interested. My mom learned and has used it a lot, and even interprets. (sp?) I can read it, but not do it. You probably already know, but there are different sign languages so you may want to ask which one she knows. That's such a cool thing H!

Ali said...

Heather,
That's so cool. I thought Gabe how to sign starting when he was 11 months old. We communicated that way until he started talking. I used Signing Time. Have you heard of it. It's made for children, but parents learn as the children do. Let me know how everything goes.

Ali

Ali said...

P.S. Thanks so much for the music. "Everything" is one of my new fav songs, but my iTunes isn't working so I can't download it. Now I can blast it from your page.

Holly said...

Look at you! Way to go! I can do a little baby sign! You know...milk, more, all done, please, thank you -- and a few other necessary ones! That's the extent for me! Keep us posted on your progress!

I hope everything else is good! I'm totally missing you like crazy right now!