Saturday, October 11, 2008

'in'possible/ 'out'possible

J and I had a conversations the other day. It went like this:

J: Mom, what does Impossible mean?
Me: It means you can't ever do something no matter what.
J: Oh!

NEXT DAY DRIVING IN THE VAN:

Me: Singing a song that has the word impossible in it.
J: That means you can't do it.
Me: good job, J
J: Like hitting is impossable
Me: Well, you CAN hit someone, it just wouldn't be a good thing, but you CAN physically hit someone, so it's not impossible. Flying is impossible. We can never fly.
J: OH
PAUSE. . . THINK...

J: So hitting is 'outpossible'.

I had to think for a minute to figure out where her little brain had taken her. I guess impossible sounded like 'in'possible and if something isn't in, it must be out. Therefore, hitting is 'out'possible because it isn't 'in'possible.

I LOVE her brain. She is always analyzing or thinking about something. :D Love you, J.




This is a picture that J took after our huge wind storm had somewhat passed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love kid brains. It's so funny how they work sometimes.

Holly said...

That's your analytical thinker there!! I love it!

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ali said...

Ok. I'm sure you don't really want to know why she misunderstood, but since I am a linguist (studying Phonetics at the moment) it is my duty to do that. So... [n] and [m] are both what we call nasals because when we make these sounds the majority of the air coming from our lungs is routed through the nasal cavity instead of the oral cavity. They are also "voiced" consonants meaning that our vocal folds are vibrating during the sound. The only difference between the two is place of articulation (POA). [m] is a bilabial articulation and [n] is, usually, alveolar. Some languages don't distinguish the two (Spanish does, but it gets mixed up even more than English). Other languages make distinctions between about five different nasal sounds, each one being articulated progressively further back in the oral cavity. English only has the two. So, she misunderstood because the two sounds are articulated in a very similar manner and it is possible that she is still learning to hear the difference. That's all.

McKenna said...

That is one of the cutest things I've ever heard. And super smart! I love how the first thing she thought was an impossible thing we can't do was "hitting". Someone has a good mom there!