So this is one of those boring posts full of typing. . . words. . . and other things. So feel free to skip this while I write a few things that I want to remember in years to come.
Today, J and I snuggled on the couch together while the boys took their naps. We talked about all the fun things coming up that we get to do--Kindergarten, Logan's b-day, Kindergarten, soccer, KINDERGARTEN, Did I mention Kindergarten??? She is sooo super excited. Loved the time I had with her today. She really is growing up. She is such a good girl. She is fun to talk to. We connect on a "girl" level and it's soo fun to have her.
L is my busy wild man. . . LOVE IT. He is the one that keeps us laughing all day. It's so fun to have children that are so different from each other and so good in so many ways. We have been working on following directions, obeying, etc. . . . just as many other mom's out their with 2 and 3 year olds. :) I have found a few things that work and have really helped with obeying and behavior. First, if he is getting into trouble, look around and there probably isn't anything better for him to do. If I provide something good for him to do, he is better behaved. Second, If I prep him when we go places on what will happen there, what people will be doing and acting like, and what he is expected to act like, I get much better behavior and we all enjoy what is going on much better. Third, the power of do-overs. When I was in Young Women's in our church, we would play volleyball and of course NONE of us were all tha great. . . we had many do-over chances on our serves. well, when L doesn't quite get the directions, obeying, etc, we say, "oh, let's try that one more time and "do-over" the process until he gets it right. For example:
Me: L, when you get inside, take your shoes off and find their home.
L: Run into the house, past the shoe closet, and into do whatever. . .
Me: Oh, let's try that again and see if we can follow all the directions and obey
L and Me: go back outside
Me: L, when you get inside, take your shoes off and find their home.
L: Goes inside, find his shoes a home in the closet, and sais, "I did it, mommy!"
Me: AWESOME, L. I knew you could follow the directions.
this helps eliminate a negative comment from me. . and helps him succeed at something with posative praise afterwards.
However, Now I realize why I can't tell D what filled up my day when he comes home. it's because I've repeated EVERYTHING about 3 times. HA!
fourth: provide opportunities for him to DO the things he likes. If he likes to jump on the couches, take him to a gymnastics free-play time and let him jump. . let him get all those jumps out.. then talk to him about where and when jumps are appropriate. If he likes to climb and scale the cupboards, Go to a playground where there are lots of things to climb up and on, etc. If he likes to use the back of the couches as balance beams, put some wood out in the grass and let him go at it.. . etc, etc, etc.
So those are things that have really helped and i'm writing them down so I can remember them for the next child. . Z-MAN. . . Although he will probably be totally different and need totally different techniques. :) I have seen L improve so much. Not that he was ever bad. I don't want to give that impression at all. He is the most loving and AWESOME little guy I love him sooo much. . . . I think any 2/3 year old works on these things, I remember working on them with J too. I'm sure I'll work on them with Z also. it's an age and stage thing.
We went swimming today as a family. . so fun. J swims all by herself without any floaties, L swam all alone with his floatie. He's pretty stoked about that. Lots of "I did it, mommy" from both J and L. Everytime L would make his way to me, I would pull him in and say, "I love you, L." He would always say, "I love you too." Awe, the sweet words. L has always been so loving, though. He always tells me that. i wish I could capture all these sweet moments on tape. . . . I try to get lots of things on camera, etc, but it's the moments in the day that get a laugh, a smile, or an I love you that I usually miss on video.
Z-man is soo sweet right now. . .as always. He is such a peaceful little guy. You can't help but feel calm when holding him. He LOVES to smile and laugh. He will take anyone looking at him or smiling at him. yesterday, D was using Z's foot to "pretend" kick me and Z laughed SOOO hard. he has such a rolly polly chuckle--soo cute. :D
Well, that's about it. Just some thoughts i wanted to put down. :)
2 comments:
I love remembering times with my children. We also do the do over. I give them an informational "nope" and then tell them to try again. I alos find that if I do not make enough time for them then it leads to problems. We always have the best behavior on days when mom is there.
Thanks for sharing these ideas. I can definately apply these in my family! You're great!
Post a Comment