Sunday, June 7, 2009

thoughts from a mother with many small children.

Soo, I have 6-7 more weeks before baby M arrives to our family. And as I'm glad to only have that long before I'm done being pregnant, I'm afraid that sometimes (like nights similar to tonight), I realize I'm beyond my capabilities with the three I have, let alone one more. I love them sooo much, but my patience is lacking in supply and frustration kicks in more often than I would like. Life seems so crazy and hectic right now and we don't seem to have time for anything. D is taking classes and seems to be gone much more than he was. I'm proud of him for wanting to learn more and continue moving in a forward direction; however, it has been hard to be big, pregnant, AND take care of 3 little ones even more than I did before AND not being with D as much as I would like.

I find myself wondering if the things I try to teach my children will ever sink in or if I will be like a broken record repeating all the same things over and over again--trying new tactics to get them to understand the same ONE principle. Sometimes I play the 'mom' role so much, I forget I'm H and that I'm a person with interests, hobbies, and desires too.

With all that said. I KNOW this little girl is suppose to be a part of our family and I know she is suppose to be a part of our family NOW! I don't know why, but I do know these things. So I'm putting my faith in Heavenly Father that he knows what he is doing and that my kids will eventually get the things I'm trying to teach them, that I will be able to function with 4 children 6 years old and under (with the last 3 only being 4 years apart from each other), that they will each receive the attention and love that they need and that my emotions and sanity will stay in tact. I worry about missing something that they need. I know I'm not a perfect parent. I know I never will be, but I worry I will miss some big thing they need because I'm so caught up being frustrated that they won't see things my way.

I do love my little family. . . . even if it's hard and takes every ounce of inner strength to continue forward.

















10 comments:

Stephanie said...

You have just summed up the feelings of every good parent everywhere. And you ARE a GOOD parent! Hanging in there is really hard sometimes, but faith and the amazing small moments are what keep us all going. So keep it up! You are doing a great job!

Karen said...

I think that you are amazing. Seriously, you have what it takes to raise four small children w/ your fun loving down to earth resiliant personality. They are so cute and all seem so happy. They are very lucky to have such a wonderful, loving mama! I agree, I wish that we lived closer so we could hang out!

Cardon Times said...

I have been having A LOT of those feelings lately. I love you! And I too know that Heavenly Father will lend us both a hand as we need it. Right now the thing I am working on is laughing. I need to laugh a lot more than I have been. Thanks for the post.

Shiloh said...

You don't give yourself enough credit! You are such an awesome MOM and an awesome HEATHER! I try to be as much like you as I can! I try soaking in all your parenting skills when I'm around you. Your faith is inspiring! I love you!! If you need a "girls day out" before M gets here, let me know! D and D can keep the kids!

Marie said...

I feel this way all the time, and I only have two! I can't imagine having three, especially the ages they are, and being pregnant! You are totally AMAZING!!!
Every time I look at your blog, I marvel at all the things you guys do! Your kids are always doing something crazy and fun! I was just telling my Mom this morning about your blog, and how I love the post with Palmer family Olympics with the couch cushions!
It's been a while since we've visited, but I still know you well enough to know that your kids are very blessed to have you as a Mom! Because you are trusting in The Lord, and striving your best to do His will, He will make up for any weaknesses you may have.
Hang in there! I miss you and love you!

Lisa said...

I enjoyed reading your post. I think the other comments sum up the feelings I have too. Mostly that your a GREAT MOM and being pregnant is SO tough all by itself. Your kids will be great kids because your a great person. I feel like a "mom" most of the time too. People ask me what I like in specifics and I think "what do I like and what would I want to do?" I can't wait to live closer a year from now. (just don't move;) I wish I could help you out while you survive the last of this pregnancy. I'll pray that you have the strength and help that you need. love ya!

Jenny said...

Hence, I cried when I found out I was pregnant with the fifth. You know they are suppose to be coming to your family NOW, but, for me anyway, I am still unsure why NOW. Maybe someday that knowledge will be revealed to me. Maybe not. I guess I just have to have faith that God knows what he is doing with my little family. And in the mean time try to hand on to the little strand of sanity that I have left!:)

Jenny said...

"hang"on

Jenny Esterbrook Photography said...

Get out, girl! I think everyone feels that way but I lately I've been finding myself thinking (when me and Eli are really bored and wondering what the heck to do) what would Heather do? Ha ha! You always are doing something fun and that the kids will have memories of and you're always teaching them how to be good people and good principles to live by with the gospel, something I need to work on a lot more. Knowing you had 3 kids with one on the way, and doing it with flying colors, helped me take the plunge for a second baby and I'm just hoping I can be as good as you are at being a mom. You are so much fun! Can I come over for the fun activities? hee hee So, hang in there. you'll be awesome and your new baby girl will fit right in! Keep up the great work!

Cook Family said...

Oh, H! Hang in there. I know I have had many times when I had to make an effort to enjoy being a parent, and try to focus on what is important. You wouldn't be normal if you didn't worry you were doing a good job. I once heard that motherhood is like going 90 MPH with your hair on fire. I believe that to be pretty accurate.